Check the installed firmware version
 Turn ON the camera.
 Press MENU button.
 Operate 4-way button and display [About This Device] of [Setup menue]
 Operate 4-way button and select [Firmware Info / Options] then press 4-way button right.
 The firmware version for camera is displayed on the [Firmware Info / Options] screen.
What needs to be prepared for the update:
- GR III camera body
- Blank, formatted SD card.
(formatted by GR III, 32MB or more)
- Computer with a SD card slot.
*If the computer does not have a SD card slot, SD card reader / writer is needed.
- Fully charged battery (DB-110) or AC adapter kit K-AC166J.
*Be sure to use fully charged battery If the camera turns off during updating due to lack of battery power, the camera will become inoperable. If this happens, a charge will be made for repairs even if within the warranty period.
 Download the firmware file: gr3_v181.zip
The download file is self-extracting.
The following file is extracted fwdc239b.bin: This is the update firmware
 Insert the battery into the camera and confirm the battery is full by battery level indicator then turn the camera off.
 Provide a formatted SD memory card for the update software
 Insert the update SD card (prepared in step 1) into the camera and close card cover.
 Turn the camera power on while pressing [Menu] button.
 [Update the camera firmware] is displayed
Select [Execute] by 4-way button and press [OK] button.
 The firmware update will start and [Updating] is displayed.
*Do not turn OFF the camera while updating.
 When update is completed, “Update completed” will be displayed.
 Turn OFF the camera and remove the SD card from camera.
*Confirm the version of firmware with above [How to check version].
GRist Samuel Lintaro Hopf from "Samuel Streetlife" demonstrate how to update the firmware in a short Video... (link)
- When updating is finished, the update SD card still contains the Firmware file. If you want to use this card to take pictures, format the card by the camera to delete firmware file first.
- This software may only be used by users who own the GR III
- This software is covered by a software license agreement. Please read the software license agreement before downloading the software. You will have agreed with this software license agreement when the download starts.
When this update is done, you will not be able to restore back to version before or earlier.
Firmware Update Software for GR III Software License Agreement
The customer (hereinafter "the user") shall verify the following items below related to the use of the licensed software supplied to the user by RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD. The download starts when you press "I agree. Start download." on this software license agreement.
Definition of terms
- Licensed software: "Licensed software" means the captioned program in a format that the user can download from the RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD website or from a site empowered by RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD.
- Use: "Use" means the user downloading and retrieving the licensed software from the RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD website or from a site empowered by RICOH IMAGING COMPANY,LTD.
- Designated machine: "Designated machine" means the single computer system set up in order for the user to use the licensed software.
- Reproduction: "Reproduction" means reproducing the licensed software on a storage device in the same format as the user downloaded or a different format.
- Modification: "Modification" means performing alternations or making additions to the licensed software or creating separate software that makes use of all or a portion of the licensed software.
Grant of license
RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD grants a non-exclusive license to the user on the condition that the user uses the licensed software in accordance with the terms and conditions of this software license agreement. The user may only use the licensed software on the designated machine.
Reproduction of the licensed software
The user shall not reproduce the licensed software for purposes other than to save and backup the licensed software intended for use on the designated machine.
Modifying the licensed software
The user shall not modify or reverse engineer the licensed software for any reason.
Property rights and copyright
The copyright and other property rights for the licensed software and for reproductions of the licensed software belong to RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD regardless of any reason. The user shall not remove the copyright notations from the licensed software or from reproductions of the licensed software.
Grant of sublicense
The user shall not transfer possession of the licensed software or reproductions of the licensed software to third parties, and the user shall not transfer the license nor grant a sublicense of the licensed software to third parties.
This software license agreement is effective on the day the user starts using the licensed software and is valid until the time the user stops use. Provided that, when the user has violated any portion of this software license agreement, RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD may revoke the license granted to the user for the licensed software and terminate the software license agreement.
Obligations after termination
After the software license agreement is terminated, the user, at the user's own responsibility, shall dispose of the licensed software after rendering it into a state where it cannot be used by third parties, and dispose of reproductions and modifications of the licensed software, and all materials related to the licensed software.
Guarantee of the licensed software
RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD shall not guarantee that the licensed software is suitable for the user's designated purposes, or that the licensed software is useful, or that this licensed software is free from defects, nor shall RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD make any other guarantees related to the licensed software.
Exporting the licensed software
The user shall not directly or indirectly export all or a portion of the licensed software without obtaining the necessary permission from the Government of Japan or the governments of the relevant countries.
RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD 's responsibilities
RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD A assumes no responsibility under any circumstance for direct or indirect damage or damage from ripple effects that occurs from using the licensed software, for damage to data, programs, or other intangible properties, or for loss of usage benefits and lost profits.
Responsibility for employees
The user assumes all responsibility that the user's employees (those employees that the user has a responsibility to manage, or monitor based on an employment relationship) fully comprehend the obligations set forth in this software license agreement and faithfully fulfill those obligations.
- Only GR III users are permitted to download the firmware update.
Firmware Update Software for GR III
gr3_v181.zip (zip type file 27,776 Kbytes)
RICOH GR III /RICOH GR III Street Edition / RICOH GR III Diary Edition
Updated firmware file
Zip type (For Windows/Mac)
RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD.